Thursday, November 5, 2009

More Renovations


Exciting stuff is going on in Belspring! We have or Chris has been very busy with renovations. Our exterior and interior door handles arrived and let me just pass this info on to you. We ordered our door hardware form ebuilder.com and paid just a fraction of the price that we would have if we purchased them from Lowe’s. So, if you are looking for new door handles, check out their web site. The hardware for our kitchen cabinets arrived, gorgeous, and the article in which gave me the very most problem regarding the decision making process, the counter top.
I agonized for almost two years over the counter top. I really wanted a solid surface but really did not want to invest the, at a minimum, 2 grand because of all the many needs of the project. So after much deliberation I chose a Formica brand laminate called Oiled Soap Stone. I love it! We chose a double rounded, flat edge cut that gives the laminate a real solid surface look. Chris hates those seams that you always see in a laminate.
The counter top itself looks like a chalk board that has been written on with white chalk and then erased. It is a matte finish and looks great with our white bead board cabinets. I’m not going to say much more about it because I want it to be a surprise when you come to visit. I do want to tell you about one more project. The window
Chris, when he was working at Balzer, did some design work for the Roanoke County Court House. Chris, somehow, got away with one of the original windows and has always said he was going to incorporate the window into the re-design of the house. I wasn’t so sure about this project but on Saturday we took the window to the glass shop and had the necessary repairs done and Chris went by to pick it up today.
What do you think, I think Chris was right. This window will go in the family room, which has a modified vaulted ceiling, above two sets of French doors. This window is about five feet in diameter and will just shower the room with light. We are going to finish the repairs and paint the window on Saturday and if it is dry, we will try to install on Sunday. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment