Friday, July 10, 2009

Thomy's New Girl


As I’m sure most or some of you know, Thomy got a tattoo after he graduated. I’m not too sure how I feel about it, but as most of you are aware, Elizabeth is well on her way to becoming the illustrated woman so I guess your wondering why so wishy-washy? When Elizabeth decided to get her first tattoo, it took a while to come to terms with her decision but afterward I was ok with it, so I guess I’m feeling the same way about Thomy’s tattoo. I’ll be ok with it just as soon as I get used to seeing it on his leg.


Thomy thought long (because I made him wait until he graduated) and hard as to what design he wanted “inked” and where on his body he wanted the tattoo and who, in regards to the artist, would have the honor. I don’t think it took him very long to decide that he wanted an old school pin-up girl that originated from an Alberto Vargas sketch. The Vargas Girls were beautiful renditions of women that could be found within the pages of Esquire magazine and were the inspiration for the pin-ups painted on fighter planes during WWII. These pin-up girls always remind me of Chris’ Uncle Bob who, until he passed away just a little over a year ago, kept framed pin-up sketches in his room at home and in his living quarters at the nursing home.


The Vargas sketch was transformed into tattoo form by Norman “Sailor Jerry” Collins. Sailor Jerry was 19 when he joined the Navy and toured Southeast Asia where he was influenced by the cultures art and imagery. He only tattooed for twelve years but his designs were so copied that even now when you refer to his work, it is referenced as an Original Sailor Jerry design.


When I first saw the tattoo, I didn’t go with him when he had it done, I was very surprised at the size or how large the piece was. He said, “I told you it was going to be on the side of my leg.” I told him I didn’t realize how big his leg was and he responded, and I think he felt is was a consolation to me, “ Well Mom, her hair IS blonde".

No comments:

Post a Comment